[Mediawiki-l] Re: Database Backup system?

Ira Abramov lists-MediaWiki-l at ira.abramov.org
Sun Oct 31 05:42:12 UTC 2004

Quoting Ashar Voultoiz, from the post of Sun, 31 Oct:
> Randy McCall wrote:
> >In some of the other php/sql applications I've been using, they have
> >simple utility for backing-up and restoring the sql database
> >(probably written for the use of those unfamiliar with the
> >intricacies of sql programming/operation like myself).  Is there any
> >similar utility for Mediawiki?
> >
> >Randy McCall
>
> Hello Randy,
>
> There isn't such a tool actually although you can use Special:Export to
> extract one article.

last I check this was a "write only backup medium" since I found no way
to suck that single page back in.

> I personally use mysqldump other all my databases every 15 days or so
> and zip / archive the dumps on an other disk.

I do that daily with my site, keep 6 back "issues" on the server (i.e.
one week) and rsync the last one to my home machine. Better safe than
sorry (and sorry I've been. believe me)

--
Royale with cheese
Ira Abramov