[Mediawiki-l] Working on a local implementation of Mediawiki to have educators try out their editing skills

ilooy ilooy.gaon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 01:34:37 UTC 2004

Hi,
Thanks for whatever help you may be able
to offer concerning this issue...

I am working on putting together a presentation
for a couple of Conferences, one a Science and
Technology conference at the McAuliffe Center,
and another for World Language Teachers at
the NHAWLT Conference.

I would like to have a local implementation of
Mediawiki running so as to be able to show
the editing of articles without going realtime.
I'm not sure of what connectivity issues there
may be at the conference centers and I'm
still waiting to hear back if internet access
will be available for presenters...

In speaking with Brion I mentioned that I
had available a Laptop with Linspire, an
iBook and a Gateway with XP.

I've had trouble getting a blue iMac connected
and seeing the network at work... And I'm
afraid of running into the same trouble with the
iBook. The Linspire laptop seems happy with
everything, and it's taken no time to get things
the way I want them on it... recently I'd put
MySQL and PHP on it but I'm not sure of the
correct settings to make way for Mediawiki.

I've looked at the Mediawiki_on_Linux article
and gotten some settings from there... has anyone
had experience with Linspire/Debian on a laptop,
who might be of help in giving helping hints as I
make the move to get it working?

Again thanks for any helpful suggestions you
may have on this subject.

Sincerely,
Jay B.
[[User:ILVI]]