[Mediawiki-l] Deleting article with ? in title

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Oct 25 17:14:05 UTC 2004

On Oct 25, 2004, at 2:17 AM, Chris Phoenix wrote:
> I initially created the ?'d article.  The system doesn't deal well
> with that.  When I edited and saved the page, the page after the save
> said "There's no text here."

Your rewrite rules are broken; you're probably sending the unescaped
URL to index.php/$1, which will turn the ? and anything after it into a
query string parameter.

Unfortunately Apache's mod_rewrite doesn't really deal with
unescaping/reescaping in a sane fashion. If you change it to
index.php?title=$1 then the ? case should work, but & will similarly
fail, unless you patch Apache (there is a patch for Apache 1.x in the
maintenance/ directory which adds an 'ampescape' function which escapes
& to %26)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)