[Mediawiki-l] free wiki hosting?

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Mon Oct 25 16:03:41 UTC 2004

I think that's a fantastic offer and extremely cool of you.
I think, yes, there will likely be some demand -- as regards myself I
don't know yet though, because I'm still kinda hoping I'll eventually
figure out MediaWiki customization and get to install it on my
domain/hosting account.

If I were you however, I'd be careful about overpromising -- I prolly
wouldn't say: "Guys, I offer free wiki hosting till kingdom come." but
rather: "I am currently in a position to offer free wiki hosting and
you're very welcome to join, however pls be aware that there are no
guarantees as regards the future." That's because you never know how
things will develop. And if you promise an "always free" service and
subsequently have to retract that, people will accuse you of baiting
and switching -- the same thing that happened to Apple with their
iTools service.

It would also be interesting to know if what you have to offer  could
help/be offered to Wikimedia projects. Forgive me my Wikimed-snobbery
but I actually kinda think it would do much  more good to support
Wikimedia project x than hosting Joe, Jane and Ed's vanity wikis.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com