[Mediawiki-l] Quick-reference guide for distinguishing "Wiki", "Wikipedia", "Wikimedia", "MediaWiki", etc

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:14:13 UTC 2004

Coming upon yet another situation where it would be nice to reference
a quick guide to often-confused names, I've expanded Jens Ropers' list
(below) into a page on meta: explaining the difference between
different terms, and highlighting how they should and shouldn't be
used.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Names

I've inserted some references to it at relevant points around meta:,
but please link to it from wherever you think would be appropriate.
[And, obviously, improve on anything non-optimal about it...] I've
called it "Names" rather than something like "Often-confused terms" so
that it's nice and easy to remember; my idea being that when somebody
misuses one of these terms, we can say "BTW, please see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Names".

Thanks Jens for the idea, and the basis of the text. It may be cute
having names which are all puns on each other, but it sure is
confusing to the unitiated!

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]