[Mediawiki-l] New wiki tags

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 23:27:31 UTC 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:02:16 +0200, Felix Damrau <mail at felixdamrau.de> wrote:
> Dear subscribers,
>
> I want to add a new wiki-tag to my  mediawiki. I thought that is quite
> easy but I a too stupid for that.

Well, I'm afraid there *is* no easy way with the current state of the
software. The file you need to "play with" is includes/Parser.php
(which is not, technically, a "parser").

> The wiki Tag shoulb be like this:
>
> I write: >>> text here <<< blabla.
> The three ">>>" shall word like the tags for emphasize. Where can I add
> now tags? Which files have to be edited? Can I format the text between
> the ">>>" Tags?
>
> It would be great if there would be a starting tag <div id="bla"> and an
> ending Tag </div>

I was wracking my brains trying to think of an example where there
isn't all sorts of special handling code in with the regular
expressions which are essentially all the "parser" consists of. And
then I came upon this function, apparently never called; create
something like this, actually call it from somewhere like
internalParse() [be careful with what gets processed before or after
it]; do plenty of testing (there's a maintenance/parserTests.php which
you can run; make sure you create an AdminSettings.php first); and Bob
may very well be your uncle...

 function doExponent ( $text ) {
        $fname = 'Parser::doExponent';
        wfProfileIn( $fname);
        $text =
        wfProfileOut( $fname);
        return $text;
 }

Come to think, that's not so hard after all - although I don't
guarantee it will really be as simple as that.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]