[Mediawiki-l] Strange 'Retrieved from' text in 1.3.5

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Oct 3 05:32:52 UTC 2004

On Oct 2, 2004, at 7:56 PM, Michelle wrote:
> We just upgraded from 1.3.0_beta4 to 1.3.5.  All went well except one
> of our main contributors is reporting that on every page she now sees
> a message of the form:
>
> Retrieved from "http://www.thisurl.whatever"

This is for the printable mode, and was missing from early versions of
the MonoBook skin. It was added back in a late beta version; the style
sheet should hide it from regular display, and show it only when
printing.

> It shows up just below the last of the text in an article, within the
> article block.  She is using XP and sees the problem in Netscape 7.1
> and AOL 8.0, whether logged in or not.
>
> I don't see it, whether using OS X/Safari/IE/Netscape, or Windows
> 98/IE.

Sounds like she has the old style sheets stuck in the browser cache:
the wiki expects the text to be hidden, but the old style sheet still
says to show it. You can usually force the browser to _really_ reload
by holding down either the shift or control keys (depending on which
browser) while hitting the reload button. Worst case, clearing the
browser's cache should do it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)