[Mediawiki-l] Is it possible to enable database locking?

Steve Elgersma elgersma at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:44:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:55:01 -0400, Steve Elgersma <elgersma at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 00:47:32 +0200, Steffen Siebert
> <steffen.siebert at logware.de> wrote:
> >
> > a little test with mediawiki showed that if two users are editing the
> > same page in parallel, the changes of the user who saves last overwrites
> > (removes) all changes the other user saved.
>
> Are you, by any chance, running the web server/PHP on a Solaris
> platform?  I'm noticing the same behaviour, but only on Solaris:

Rowan called it (thanks, Rowan).  Turns out it's using an external
program (diff3) as part of the conflict resolution, and it's expecting
the GNU version of diff3.  In my case, it was picking up the Solaris
diff3, which has different command-line options.  The solution is to
edit your LocalSettings.php, and add the line: $wgDiff3='';

Note that I had the GNU version of diff3 as well, and setting the
variable to the path to it seemed to produce the same result as the
null setting. YMMV.

The above solution can also be found on the bug page, which I've left
open in hopes that the install can be modified to test for the GNU
version of diff3.

Later,
Steve