[Mediawiki-l] Maintenance problems

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Nov 29 00:15:59 UTC 2004

On Nov 28, 2004, at 8:46 AM, Plamen Gradinarov wrote:
> However I try to start any file from the maintenance, say,
> refreshLinks or rebuildSearchIndex, the result is invariably one and
> the same:
> "Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and
> cannot contact the database server."

Can you confirm that the database username and password in
AdminSettings.php are correct, and that you can use them to connect to
the server with the command-line 'mysql' client? Can you confirm that
you spelled $wgDBadminuser and $wgDBadminpassword correctly, with that
exact case usage?

> Even the proposed workaround for rebuilding the links is not working.

What workaround is that, and where is it proposed?

> First it returns
>
> ERROR 2006: MySQL server has gone away
> No connection. Trying to reconnect...

Check mysql's error log; MySQL may be crashing or having other problems.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)