[Mediawiki-l] Math Problem...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Nov 24 22:52:58 UTC 2004

On Nov 24, 2004, at 2:01 PM, Teuwen Jonas wrote:
> First this statement: I have no shell access..

There's a very good chance you cannot get texvc working, without
assistance from the people who run your servers to install the
necessary software.

> Ok, I download the TeX binairy from the sourceforge page, I downloaded
> imagemagick en chmodded it to 777 (the convert file)

That sounds very bad; don't do that. ImageMagick should be installed
into a system directory, generally, and binaries should definitely
*NEVER* be world-writable.

>  so, when does the
> convert do its work? I enabled it in the LocalOptions.php file and
> uploaded a big image but it does not resize the image.

Did you specify an image size like [[image:big.jpg|200px]] ? Have you
set the location of the convert binary and properly enabled use of
ImageMagick and resizing? (See LocalSettings.php)

> Also I get this error:
>
> PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation of latex, dvips,
> gs, and convert
>
> I have no dvips, and I cannot find it (a binairy)

It will never work without dvips. You need it installed, and in the
system PATH. If it's installed in a location that's not in the system
PATH, you need to be able to override the PATH environment variable to
include it.

> Gs is in /usr/bin or something like that.

Well, that's something at least.

> There are files with .tex extension in /images/tmp but not in
> images/math
>
> Does someone know what is going on?

You're missing at least several of the programs required for TeX
support, so it's unable to produce complete output.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)