[Mediawiki-l] After saving the changes, it doesn't go back to the original page...

Simon Tse Simon.Tse at LaserFiche.com
Wed Nov 24 17:32:30 UTC 2004

Thanks for the response. However,

"Try setting the ServerName directive in httpd.conf" - I cannot find the
httpd.conf file

Also, "$wgServer variable in LocalSettings.php like this:
   $wgServer = 'http://myrealhostname.myrealdomain.com'" I cannot find
this variable as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: mediawiki-l-bounces at Wikimedia.org
[mailto:mediawiki-l-bounces at Wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Brion Vibber
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 3:05 PM
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] After saving the changes,it doesn't go back
to the original page...

On Nov 22, 2004, at 2:15 PM, Simon Tse wrote:
> e.g. say the page I am trying to update is
> /abc/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, then, after I submitted the changes,
> instead of going back to /abc/wiki/index.php/Main_Page, I am stuck in
> page /abc/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=submit with the "page
> cannot be displayed" error. However, the changes I submitted was made
> if
> to go to /abc.wiki/index.php/Main_Page and view the page.

Can you confirm that the web server is reporting the correct hostname?
It's annoyingly common for Apache to think it's running on "localhost"
or a non-fully-qualified or internal-only hostname, and this invalid
hostname gets handed to PHP and we use it when constructing redirect
headers.

Try setting the ServerName directive in httpd.conf, or override the
$wgServer variable in LocalSettings.php like this:
   $wgServer = 'http://myrealhostname.myrealdomain.com';

(You need the http:// or https:// on the front here.) You might have
similar problems if running on a non-standard port over some kind of
port redirect mechanism or proxy such that the web server doesn't know
what port number the clients use.

If this doesn't clear it up, you might use the 'Live HTTP Headers'
extension for Mozilla or Firefox, or a network traffic sniffer capable
of interpreting HTTP (like Ethereal) to double-check exactly what's
being sent between the browser and the server. I find the Live HTTP
Headers extension to be an invaluable web debugging tool, and it's very
easy to switch on when you need it: http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)