[Mediawiki-l] Renaming a mediawiki?

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 20:18:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:36:00 -0800, Nick Triantos <nick at triantos.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know the cleanest way to rename a whole wiki?  I'm guessing
> that I'll change LocalSettings.php to update the $wgSiteName

Yes, theoretically, that's it.

> perhaps rename the name of the mysql database.

This shouldn't efffect anything. IIRC, the default is "wikidb" anyway.

> ... changed from the default of "{{SITENAME}}" to my wiki name.  I
> don't know why, I certainly never changed a bunch of those system
> messages, were they set to include the literal name of my site when the
> databases were first created?

Yes, this was a bug in earlier versions of the software (as in, I
believed it's fixed in version > 1.3.5, but that's no good for you,
because you've installed already) where lots of messages had variables
substituted in during the install, rather than referring to the
variables like {{SITENAME}}. AFAIK, there are two 'solutions' to this:
1) do a search and replace, either using SQL, or manually editing the
MediaWiki: pages, as listed on Special:Allmessages
2) upgrade the software (recommended anyway, since a number of
security vulnerabilities have been fixed recently) and then reset all
the messages to their defaults, using
"maintenance/rebuildMessages.php". Obviously, you'll then need to
re-customise anything in the MediaWiki: namespace that you had
customised.

Note that I've never done this myself, but from memory of what I've
read, that's about the shape of it.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]