[Mediawiki-l] Re: Installation - Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure

Jonah Bossewitch mrenoch at phantomcynthetics.com
Wed Nov 24 04:51:33 UTC 2004

I just ran into a very similar problem myself while installing a new wiki on
a shared server where php was configured with safe mode.

I didn't realize I could set the TMP environment variable in the .htaccess,
and learned that while the mediawiki code respects the $wgUploadDirectory,
PHPTal still tries to create files in the /tmp directory.

I think this is because when PHPTAL.php checks (is_writable) to see if it
can write in /tmp, php returns true that the /tmp dir is writeable, even if
safe_mode is on.

Perhaps if the PHPTAL.php code added another test to the is_writable
condition, setting the TMP environment variable could be avoided?

something like:
if( is_writable( $default_temp )  &&
 !ini_get('safe_mode') ) {
               define('PHPTAL_DEFAULT_CACHE_DIR',