[Mediawiki-l] Installation - Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure

dbw at ozreef.org dbw at ozreef.org
Tue Nov 23 03:44:54 UTC 2004

Thank you for the assistance.

>Most likely in the messages above this, there is something about PHP
>being in safe mode. (The installer asks that you post the complete
>output when seeking help; this is so that instead of guessing what your
>problem is, we have a better chance of being able to tell for sure.)

NP, sorry about that, here it is, but everything else appears to be fine up
until that stage.

# PHP 4.3.9: ok
# PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
(index.php/Page_Title)
# Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
# PHP's memory_limit is 8M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
Attempting to raise limit to 20M... ok.
# Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
# Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if you
enable uploads.
# Installation directory: /home/httpd/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/masa
# Script URI path: /masa
Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure Can't find a writable temp directory for the
XHTML template. Check that the TMP environment variable points to a writable
directory, or that the default temp dir (/tmp) exists and is writable.

>Safe mode (and also some related options) can make it pretty much
>impossible for a PHP script to access the /tmp directory.

PHP safe mode is off, since I needed that for Gallery in the same domain.

I can provide the appropriate PHP configuration info if that helps.

They attempted to ensure that apache had access etc to the tmp directory, as
indicated in the email that I provided the URL for in the first post.