[Mediawiki-l] Access rights for Categories/Namespaces

Luigi Montanez luigi.montanez at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 18:31:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:49:57 -0800, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2004, at 10:50 AM, Luigi Montanez wrote:
> > # Pages anonymous (not-logged-in) users may see
> > $wgWhitelistRead = array ("Main Page", "Special:Userlogin",
> > "Wikipedia:Help", "Category:HOWTOs");
> >
> > However this doesn't allow pages in the HOWTOs category to be seen
> > anonymously. I tried using a wildcard operator ' * ', but that didn't
> > work either.
>
> The whitelist is a list of titles of particular pages that you want to
> be accessible. If you want a lot of pages to be accessible, you should
> generally simply have an open site.

I just want one category or namespace to be open and accessible.
Members of my group are going to want to access this information
quickly and easily from various access points (not just from their
home PC) so I don't want them to have to login every time. The other
parts of the wiki are sensitive enough to warrant blacklisting though.

Furthermore, I don't want go through the hassle of adding each new
page to the whitelist in the category if I can simply make all pages
in the category whitelisted.

Thanks.