[Mediawiki-l] Problems installing MediaWiki 1.3.7 on RH AS2.1 Linux

Jot Powers misc at bofh.com
Tue Nov 16 19:48:36 UTC 2004

I've beaten my head against the wall for a few days, and give
up, so I'm requesting help.

Here is the config screen:

Please include all of the lines below when reporting installation problems.
Checking environment...

    * PHP 4.3.2: ok
    * PHP server API is apache2filter; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
    * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
    * PHP's memory_limit is 20M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
    * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
    * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if you enable uploads.
    * Installation directory: /var/www/html/wiki
    * Script URI path: /wiki
    * Connected as root (automatic)
    * Connected to database... 4.1.7-standard; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
    * Database wikidb exists
    * There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if updates are needed...

...ipblocks is up to date.
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
...have linkscc table.
...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
...have hitcounter table.
Converting links table to ID-ID...
Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot contact the database server.

[XX at XX wiki]# uname -a
Linux XX 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:18:24 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Relevant packages:
MySQL-client-4.1.7-0
php-mysql-4.3.2-11.ent
MySQL-server-4.1.7-0
httpd-2.0.46-32.ent
php-4.3.2-11.ent
php-mysql-4.3.2-11.ent

I've googled the mailing list archives and attempted to fix any
problems I see there.  As you can see the database is getting created
and I've made sure that the wikiuser id has db grant access:

[XX at XX wiki]# mysqlshow
+-----------+
| Databases |
+-----------+
| mysql     |
| test      |
| wikidb    |

mysql> update mysql.user set password = OLD_PASSWORD('XXXXXX')
    -> where host = 'localhost' and user = 'wikiuser';

mysql     3286  0.0  0.2 32148 12248 pts/0   S    13:06   0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/XX.pid --skip-locking --socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock --old-passwords

I've opened permission on the config directory, there is nothing
of value in the httpd server logs or the mysqld log file.

Any other ideas?  I'm really hoping for something easy I'm
overlooking.

Thanks.

-Jot
--
Jot Powers      <misc at bofh.com>          http://www.bofh.com
Bumper Sticker: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.