[Mediawiki-l] limiting write access to a media wiki

Geert Wissink gwissink at kl.nl
Sun Nov 14 14:16:27 UTC 2004

Hi Colin,

actually it is pretty easy to tweak the wiki so that only people you give permission can write and read. I have set up a wiki for internal use for our organisation, which can be reached within the netwerk as well from the outside (routed an ip-adress to the wiki on the server with apache).

--------------
1. Limit write acces: i haven't figured out on local network level, instead, only people who have an account can write and read and control who can make users.

>From http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Setting_user_rights_in_MediaWiki:

Configuring access restrictions to your wiki
Also see Preventing_Access You can customise user restrictions by placing some or all of the commands below into LocalSettings.php.

# Specify who can edit: true means only logged in users may edit pages
$wgWhitelistEdit = true;

# Pages anonymous (not-logged-in) users may see
$wgWhitelistRead = array ("Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "Wikipedia:Help");

# Specify who may create new accounts: 0 means no, 1 means yes
$wgWhitelistAccount = array ( 'user' => 0, 'sysop' => 1, 'developer' => 1 );

2. Create a user with sysop rights with the following sql query:

mysql> UPDATE user SET user_rights='bureaucrat,sysop' WHERE user_name='The Username';

The "user" in the above text is the user table in the wikidb database.

The user_rights field is actually a comma-separated list; presently four values are recognized by the software:

The Username is the person you want to give sysop rights.

3. If you want to add users, login with sysop rights and find the page Special:Userlogin and create a new user.

People from the outside still can see the frontpage, but can't read, edit or create an account.

Good luck!

Geert