Re: [Mediawiki-l] Problems wit h the Germans Umlaute: ä, ö, ü

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:26:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:13:50 -0500, Jamie Bliss
<astronouth7303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this caused by the character being sent to the browser raw and
> not being changed into the appropriate entity. I don't know how to fix
> this, though. (In mine, it was displayed as either a question mark and
> a box or 2 question marks.)

No, you misunderstand: the characters are clearly corrupted *in your
database*. I was able to add un-corrupted letters with umlauts with no
problem at all, as can be seen at
http://www.italien.ch/wiki/index.php/Italien.ch:Sandbox  How the
corrupted characters are displayed (or even how they are transmitted)
doesn't matter, they simply need replacing in the database with what
they should have been in the first place.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]