[Mediawiki-l] Squid configuration and browser caching

Patrick Atoon patricka at rapdict.org
Sat Nov 13 11:21:41 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I am trying to set up a mediawiki with squid as http accellerator,
but I'm only partially succesful. As far as I can judge, the setup
appears to be responding just fine; pages get cached by squid and
when they are edited they are PURGEd from the cache. So far, so good.

However, when I log in, the logged in version of the page gets
cached by my browser, leading to strange effects when logging out.
Returning to the page will display the logged in version even though
I'm not logged in. Refreshing the page in the browser fixes the
problem. I have checked with a second browser; squid is not caching
the logged in version of pages.

The documentation is kind of flimsy (;-)) when it comes to
configuring mediawiki + squid. Most info I found came from:

    http://www.aulinx.de/oss/code/wikipedia/
    http://wiki.aulinx.de/Cache-Control

Any ideas what I am doing wrong in my squid config? Relevant
lines are pasted below:

#We recommend you to use the following two lines.
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY

# Allow access to the web ports
acl web_ports port 80
http_access allow web_ports

# Allow purge
acl purge method PURGE
http_access allow purge localhost
http_access deny purge

# Default match
refresh_pattern .                       0       20%     4320

All advice is appreciated.

Greetings,

Patrick

   Patrick Atoon ___________________ mailto:patricka at rapdict.org