[Mediawiki-l] limiting write access to a media wiki

Colin Johnson colinj at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Nov 12 18:26:06 UTC 2004

I'm new to implementing a media wiki so bear with me if what follows
is(are) FAQ(s).

I'm working on building a set of howtos for the users here. I like the
format and control that a mediawiki gives me. What I want to do is be
able to limit who has write access to the wiki and from where.

I'd like to be able to do the following:

1. limit write access to machines only on our local network
2. limit write access to users who login so we can track changes
3. limit user accounts to specific people.

I'm working at a college of computer science and so I don't want to,
right off the bat, enable all of the students with write access. I would
like to get there eventually but I'd like to start out with only a small
number of users who have write access and then grow that group over time.

So, pointers to what I should read to get up to speed on this would be
great.

I do have the wiki set up and running so that's not a problem.