[Mediawiki-l] host recommendation for MediaWiki?

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Sun Nov 7 14:06:01 UTC 2004

I'm looking to switch to a new host.

Can anyone recommend a good host that would allow me to run MediaWiki
w/o making a big fuss about it?

My further criteria:
- All communication should be in English (Host should preferably be
physically located in an English language country)
- Host should embrace a decidedly liberal stance in terms of "freedom
of speech"-rights. (No, we're not talking pr0n, just language.)
- Host should preferably be located outside the US (Ireland? Canada?
etc.).
- Host should preferably not cap monthly transfer or offer a large (ie.
20GB+) allowance
- Storage space should be 100 MB+
- Host should not use .NET, MS software or similar products epitomizing
the pinnacles of civilization (Linux/*BSD/Mac OS X Server would all be
fine).
- SMTP service should be available/part of the package
- webmail (eg. Horde) should be available/part of the package
- Host should ideally offer basic DNS services (i.e. I "bring my own
domain", point it at their DNS servers and am able to tinker a bit, eg.
using subdomain.mydomain.tld)
- Host should be affordable (ie. roughly near the area of EUR 80 / USD
100) p.a.

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com