[Mediawiki-l] How do I set an image thumbnail for a non image file (e.g. excel spread sheet)?

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 20:38:06 UTC 2004

I believe that the Image namespace only works correctly with straight
web-image files (gif, png, jpg). You may want to use the Media
namespace insted. eg,

== Project to save the world ==

[Media:process_flow.vsd|How to save the world - process flow]]

[[Media:role.doc|How to define your role in saving the world]]

[[Media:cost.xls|Current Budget for Saving the world]]

This causes MediaWiki to treat them much differently.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 03:46:06 -0500, Sam Stern <samstern at samstern.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> I run a corporate intranet Wiki. It's replacing an ageing Twiki install.
> Currently I have set MediaWiki to accept file types of doc, xls, vsd, mdb
> etc.
>
> However when I refer to a non image file like:
>
> [[image:plan.doc|Plan for making plans]]
>
> The link appears as a broken link -- e.g. displays the Red "X" and the Alt
> Text (although clicking the link actually does link to the correct file).
>
> Right now I'm making pages like this:
>
> == Project to save the world ==
>
> [[image:process_flow.vsd|How to save the world - process flow]]
>
> [[image:role.doc|How to define your role in saving the world]]
>
> [[image:cost.xls|Current Budget for Saving the world]]
>
> <b> Editors note, please go ahead and click the above links. They appear to
> be broken but are not. </b>
>
> Now I do have small .gif files for each file type (e.g. the little green X
> for excel sheets) but cannot figure out how to get MediaWiki to display the
> correct generic thumb nail.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!!
>
> Sam Stern
> Baltimore, MD, USA