[Mediawiki-l] Non-root installation

brion at zwinger.wikimedia.org brion at zwinger.wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 29 23:52:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:32:29PM -0500, James Reed wrote:
> I would like to install MediaWiki on a remote server to which I do not have
> root access. PHP 4.2.3 and MySQL 3.23.49 are available. Has anyone here done
> this before, or know of someone who has? If so, I would like to contact
> him/her.

Just FYI, those are _really old_ versions of PHP and MySQL. They will
probably work, but if you have any strange problems please let us know
about any error messages you get.

> Also, I would like to be able to install MediaWiki by unpacking the files
> into the directory of choice, run an installation script in my browser into
> which I input my host, directory, database, and software version
> information, run a configuration script to setup admin accounts, display
> preferences, and the like, and start using the product. Is there any
> possibility of this being implemented in the near future?

This is already implemented in version 1.2. Download MediaWiki 1.2.2:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wikipedia/mediawiki-1.2.2.tar.gz?download

The file INSTALL contains installation instructions.

If you don't have root access to the database, you should first make
sure that you have an empty database and permission to create and
alter tables in it. If you have existing tables in this database, make
sure none of the names conflict with MediaWiki's tables (check the table
definitions in maintenance/tables.sql)

Give your existing MySQL username and password to the config script,
and just leave the root password blank.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)