[Mediawiki-l] Problem with web installer!

Dan Carlson minutiaeman at st-minutiae.com
Tue Mar 23 20:54:51 UTC 2004

I suppose it's my own fault for trusting what was explicitly labeled as
an "experimental" web interface installer, but I'm going to pass this
information on so that other people are aware as well.

I've had an existing wiki that I wanted to upgrade to 1.2.0rc4, and I
tried using the web interface.  I didn't realize that the installer
would WIPE MY ENTIRE DATABASE and start over with a blank slate!  I
think you guys should either (a) put a much more obvious warning
against using the installer for existing wikis (I haven't found one
yet), or else (b) tell the installer to do nothing as a safeguard if it
detects an existing database using the name of the database it was told
to set up.

Thanks,
Dan Carlson
*praying that his host has a backup of the database*