[Mediawiki-l] Please help, trying to edit the sidebars text and other items

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Tue Jun 29 04:18:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 21:40, trip somewhere wrote:

> Please help me I have spent two days trying to figure out how to edit
> the sidebar to remove some links change the text and add a new
> catagorie link to it.
> I dislike the Random page, my watchlist, and other items, but the
> preferences and documentaition has nothing on it.

You pretty much are going to have to either:

a) go through Skin.php and the other includes/Skin*.php files to strip
out the links you don't want.
b) Learn to understand PHP TAL and see if you can write your own
template for it.

Neither is fun nor easy. If you grok PHP already, try a). If not, you
might as well learn TAL, so try b). TAL's home page and documentation is
here:

        http://phptal.sourceforge.net/

...although I believe they punt on a lot of things to Zope.

> Please please help, I am going through so many wikis and I like this
> one it is simple and quick I just need more control of it.

You do know this is the _MediaWiki_ mailing list, right?

> The main
> site has theres custom made so I know it is possible.

Which site you do mean? Wikipedia?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan at wikitravel.org>