[Mediawiki-l] Conserving Storage Space and Removing History

AlphabetDP at aol.com AlphabetDP at aol.com
Fri Jun 25 12:46:01 UTC 2004

In a message dated 6/21/2004 5:02:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brion at pobox.com writes:

> Note that currently we don't have diff-based storage; when you make a
> change to a page the entire previous revision is stored in whole.
> (Consider enabling $wgCompressOld if you have zlib support in PHP; this
> will reduce old text requirements by roughly half.)
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Currently, my group's wiki is small. There are a few of us actively
contributing right now, but that will probably change soon. The handful of volunteers
that have been putting in content have also been learning the way of the wiki
as they do so, making multiple edits on some rather lengthy articles, and
innocently eating up storage space.

At the moment, our wiki is restricted to only registered users being able to
contribute and only the sysop can create a registered user account.

We had attempted to research the wiki's overhead requirements in making a
judgment as to whether or not to buy more disk space from our provider. During
the investigation of overhead storage requirements, we used the 'wikipedia'
statistics and charts on space. It never occurred to us that 'wikipedia' was
storing full copies of all versions of an article based on the 590MB May 22, 2004
number and considering the high number of articles the db had. We must have
been reading the wrong statistics.

Do the 'wikipedia' administrators remove history from their wiki in order to
preserve space? If so, how is this done? Is there some sort of 'export only
the lastest version of each article, etc.' option, clear the db, and then import
the lastest version back?

Our administrator has set the "$wgCompressRevisions = true;" since your
message (above) -- will that take care of only the revisions since the flag was
turned on or will there be compression of the previous revisions as well?

I appreciate everyone's patience in this. I'm sort of the go-between right
now. Hopefully our administrator will come online with this list and she can
pose the questions more 'technically'. :)

Our versions:
MediaWiki: 1.3.0beta2
PHP: 4.3.4 (apache)
MySQL: 4.0.18