[Mediawiki-l] Installation Problem

Peter Leitch peter at drypond.com
Tue Jun 15 11:12:09 UTC 2004

I've just downloaded RC3, and tried to install it, but no luck. In fact, I
get exactly the same result as with RC2.  After successfully completing the
installation process and moving the LocalSettings.php file from the config
directory, I click in the link that's supposed to take me to the front page,
and instead I get:

[pear_error: message="failed to open stream: Operation not permitted" code=0
mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]

Here's the successful environment check:

--------------------------------

PHP 4.3.5 ok
PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
PHP is configured with no memory_limit.
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if
you enable uploads.
Installation directory: /home/.nacia/biggles/rpgpage.com/wiki
Script URI path: /wiki Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure
MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at tofu.dreamhost.com' (Using
password: NO)
Trying regular user... ok.
Connected to database... 4.0.20-log; enabling MySQL 4 enhancementsWarning:
$wgProxyKey is insecure
Database rpgpage exists
Creating tables... done.
Initializing data...
Created sysop account WikiSysop.
Initialising log pages...
Initialising "MediaWiki" namespace...
Creating LocalSettings.php...

Success! Move the LocalSettings.php file into the parent directory, then
follow this link to your wiki.

--------------------------------

It looks like a problem with pear, except...I have RC2 running successfully
(brilliantly) on another of my websites on the same webserver (I have a
number of domains running within the same hosting environment). The
intention was to move the wiki from where it's working to a more appropriate
domain, but I can't get it to work anywhere else, and a fresh, clean install
gives me the exact same result.

PS No one except the web hoster has root access to the database server, but
I didn't need it to get it working the first time. To summarise, all domains
are on one honkin' big web server, all databases are on one honkin' big
database server. As far as I can tell, this is a pretty standard setup for a
commercial hosting environment.

Any thoughts, anyone? I must have clean installed this software (RC2 and
RC3) close to a dozen times now, and only once has it worked...and that one
works brilliantly, as I said.

Cheers

Peter Leitch
<peter at drypond.com>