[Mediawiki-l] Config install script hanging (Wits End)

Stephen Yeago stephen at yeago.net
Fri Jun 11 02:08:23 UTC 2004

Hi there,

Not that I expect this email to get anyone's attention or evoke a reply,
but there isn't another option, is there?

I encountered the common problem of users who do not have MySQL root
come onto, despite the fact that the config index says that its not
neccessary so long as a user/pass to MySQL is given.

    Checking environment...

    * PHP 4.3.6 ok
    * PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
    * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
    * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
      enabled if you enable uploads.
    * Installation directory: /homepages/22/d94944393/htdocs/yeago.net/wiki
    * Script URI path: /wiki
    * MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user:
      'root at infong223.kundenserver.de' (Using password: YES)

---------------

I got around this, as others did, by simply changing 'root' in
config/index.php to my username.

However, this causes a new problem.....

    Checking environment...

    * PHP 4.3.6 ok
    * PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
    * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
    * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
      enabled if you enable uploads.
    * Installation directory: /homepages/22/d94944393/htdocs/yeago.net/wiki
    * Script URI path: /wiki

Yep, that's as far as it gets. It hangs and never spits out any local
settings. But by using the "echo 'here'" method, I was able to trace the
hanging to the return statement inside writeLocalSettings()

That is as far as I know how to follow this problem. If anyone has any
insight, or if anyone is even reading this and could do me the great
favor of pointing me in the direction of somewhere/someone who may yield
some answers, please let me know.

-steve