[Mediawiki-l] looking for hints for system performance

Matias Pelenur mediawiki-l at matiaspelenur.com
Tue Jun 8 07:30:37 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I've recently installed a MediaWiki 1.3.0beta2 system (off the CVS tip)
and while it works nicely I want to make sure that my server is
configured for best performance -- right now response time is not super
fast.

I'm running the site on a "virtual-server" 2GB 2-proc machine running
Redhat 9. I have Apache 2.0.49, PHP 4.3.6, MySQL 4.0 stable.

I installed all these myself and am using pretty much whatever the
default configurations are. I wonder if in particular for MySQL (and
perhaps Apache) I may have a very sub-optimal config.

So I'm basically looking for hints on what configuration values people
have used for MySQL (memory, buffer sizes, cache sizes, etc), PHP (mysql
persistent connections or not?), Apache (threading module type, memory,
caveats, etc etc) that have shown good improvements.

Thanks in advance,
Matias