[Mediawiki-l] Including an external html (or php) file

Richards,Michael Michael.Richards at gartner.com
Tue Jun 1 20:49:41 UTC 2004

Brion Vibber wrote:
>Bruce Bertrand wrote:
>> Is there a way to display an external html or php file within a page?
>No. You could add a way, I suppose, but there isn't one.
>>  Or even
>> just insert some raw html code?  the <nowiki> tag doesn't seem to work for
>> this.
>Arbitrary HTML is dangerous: cross-site scripting attacks; hijacking
>sessions of other users, etc.

Another related question: is there a way to *link* to an external file on a file system, using perhaps UNC (Universal Naming Convention), e.g. [<\\servername\sharename\path\filename> External File] or some such syntax? On some Mediawiki installations other than Wikipedia (e.g. ours) this would be extremely useful to link to non-wiki flat files (e.g. Microsoft Word).

Michael Richards