[Mediawiki-l] More info

P. Kerim friedman kerim.mail at oxus.net
Sat Jul 31 22:10:16 UTC 2004

I'm a little closer to understanding what is going on with my absolute
failure to get MediaWiki to respect EasyDNS' domain forwarding. It
seems that they use frames. From their website:

This is accomplished by creating a frameset document which specifies an
invisible frame to keep the domain name in the location bar, and
another frame which occupies the whole screen which the page forwarded
to is placed.  This has the effect of keeping the domain name in the
location bar, no matter what address is forwarded to within the frame.
If it doesn't matter to your application that the address shown in the
location bar of a visitors browser will always be the same, your domain
name, regardless of which page they access, then you can turn stealth
on and  the only modification you have to make to the html code on your
site is that if you have links to other websites outside of your own
site, make sure your links look like this:  <a
href="http://www.anothersite.com" target="_top">

Now, my problem isn't one of getting the outside links to work,
although that would be nice. (Movable Type seems able to support this.)
But rather, I think the .htaccess file I am using to clean up the
domain names is perhaps breaking the frame?

Also, I was able to figure something out:

This does not work:
RewriteCond %{REQIEST_URI} ^something.org
RewriteRule ^(.*) some.org$1

This does:
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^wiki\.oxusnet\.net
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://wiki.oxus.net/$1 [L]

However, it creates an infinite loop for me, between the EasyDNS
forwarding and the redirect, so the page never, ever loads!

This may be hopeless, but if anyone has any ideas let me know! I
really, really, want to fix this!

kerim