[Mediawiki-l] Redirects and such

P. Kerim friedman kerim.mail at oxus.net
Tue Jul 27 19:38:01 UTC 2004

I have been able to get my wiki up and configured quite easily,
although modifying the navigation box took some figuring out. However,
the one last thing I want to do is to figure out how to modify the URLs
using Apache rewrite rules. I don't have access to httpd.conf on my
hosted site, just .htaccess files. But when I tried the hint in
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rewrite_rules> nothing happened.
Moreover, I want to also change the base URL, as I use URL forwarding
on my site. Any help would be appreciated! Please see below for more
details.

kerim

My Wiki URL:

http://wiki.oxusnet.net/index.php/Main_Page

How I would like it to look like:

http://wiki.oxus.net/Main_Page

As you see, my actual domain is "oxus.net" not "oxusnet.net" which is
the domain of the hosting computer. Also, I would like to remove the
offending "index.php/" from the URL, I see it is not there on the main
site.

On most software I've installed myself, I've been able to set up a
"base URL" using the config file, but I don't see that here in
MediaWiki. As far as removing the "index.php/" is concerned, the
instructions on the "rewrite_rules" page don't seem to work for me. My
host's tech support (hostmatters.com) told me that the rules specify
the exact same URL structure I already have, so there is no difference!

Thanks for your help!!!