[Mediawiki-l] uploaded image file/dir names?

Dan Kelley Dan.Kelley at Dal.Ca
Wed Jul 21 18:55:00 UTC 2004

I've posted a question at
  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:MediaWiki_file_usage
which reads as follows.  Any hints on this?  The webpage seems to be
incorrect.  (My reason for looking into this is that I want to do
multiple file uploads, but the 'bot' scheme isn't working for me so I'm
trying to read the code and docs to learn how to automate this a bit
better.)

I'm confused about the image filename hashing. Is the following
statement correct? Filenames are MD5-hashed, and since many filesystems
don't handle large directories well, uploads are broken into
subdirectories with the first and first two hex digits of the hash, eg:
upload/7/79/Wikicontestlogo598932.jpg. I tested this by downloading the
linked-to file. The result was
  ee3fe2bfeffd646b0bee15265af96c37  Wikicontestlogo598932.jpg

which should have gone into a directory e/e3 instead of the directory
7/79 as indicated. --DK 18:52, 2004 Jul 21 (UTC)

Dan E. Kelley, Associate Professor                phone:(902)494-1694
Oceanography Department, Dalhousie University       fax:(902)494-2885
Halifax, Nova Scotia                         mailto:Dan.Kelley at Dal.CA
Canada B3H 4J1   http://www.phys.ocean.dal.ca/~kelley/Kelley_Dan.html