[Mediawiki-l] Re: WYSIWYG

Matt shoqaffect at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 13:11:24 UTC 2004

Brion Vibber wrote:

> Nick Bell wrote:>
> I know this is probably anti-Wiki too, but is there any way of incorporating a WYSIWYG editor (a la htmlarea) into mediawiki?
>

> Not at present. You'd have to either give everything over to HTML or try
> to hack a wiki<->html<->wiki converter, which would inevitably be lossy,
> or put a *lot* of effort into a magic JavaScript/DHTML reimplementation
> of text editing.
> > -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Brion. I have looked at HTML2wiki and it seemed to work VERY well. I
would like to try and integrate the Epoz editor, and run the output
through the converter before saving to mediawiki. We are only a few
weeks into MediaWiki, and still not familiar with integrating external
source.
Can you give us a few clues about how we would go about plugging in
Epoz?  At first glance, there seem to be many things to consider.

Would we have to fully integrate it with the monobook template (the ONLY
one we are using, presently)? Is there a preferred method of running
such source as a special page?  Would we integrate the epoz form into
the editpage.php code itself, or run epoz into a MW template and add all
the MW actions from it's source?

Can you give us a bullet-point jumpstart in how to approach this? I'm
sure other daring types would find the tips VERY helpful.  Perhaps one
of us can get a working implementation running for the benefit of all.