[Mediawiki-l] PEAR error

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Wed Jul 21 15:12:23 UTC 2004

Thomas Rother wrote:

> Hi,
> does anyone know what this PEAR error means:
>
> [pear_error: message="failed to open stream: Permission denied" code=0
> mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]
>
> I saw this with a fresh installation of 1.3 CVS (20.7.04)

Some PEAR component is having a problem and explains itself in a very
cryptic fashion.  It means that your 'images' directory isn't
world-writable, and Apache can't write the temporary cached template
files it needs to put there.

To solve it, just
  cd phase3    (go to the base directory where you installed)
  chmod a+w images (give write permissions to all users on the directory
--which will allow Apache to create files there)

As an aside, there is also a line that you need to uncomment in the
LocalSettings.php if you want to upload things like graphics to use in
your wiki.  These graphics and other files get stored in the 'images'
directory too (which as mentioned above, needs to be world-writable).

Greg

--
FREePHILE
We are 'Open' for Business