[Mediawiki-l] Upgrading from 1.26 to 1.3 - best way?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Jul 18 23:55:58 UTC 2004

Nick Bell wrote:
> 1. 1.26 is great, but I want the latest! I would rather not have to
> reenter all my wiki data - what's the best way of transferring it
> across? I've managed to get the XML export to work, but how to I
> _import_ it to the new site?

There is not yet a fully functional XML import function in the wiki.

The standard upgrade method is to just install the new version; give it
the existing database name/username/password and it should perform the
necessary upgrade steps.

You will need to first remove the old LocalSettings.php if you try to
install over the same directory, and adapt any customizations to it to
the new version.

BACK UP EVERYTHING FIRST -- your files and your database.

(Keep in mind that 1.3 is currently marked as beta, in large part
because there have been install issues that aren't fully worked out yet.
On some configurations you may have trouble.)

> 2. I don't find it very easy to search for support on the metawiki using
> the search What's the easiest way of finding whether somebody has
> answered my question about mediawiki previously?

Google. Both meta and the mailing list archives should be indexed and
reachable. (Try adding site:mail.wikipedia.org or
site:meta.wikipedia.org to the google search to restrict results.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)