[Mediawiki-l] Preventing user registration

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Jul 18 00:39:20 UTC 2004

Nick Bell wrote:
> I hope you don't think this request is against the spirit of Wiki. I have
> a mediaWiki site for doctors, and I need to prevent unauthorised access to
> the pages. I've already prevented non-registered users from viewing or
> editing pages - now I need to prevent all and sundry from registering and
> hence becoming users. What is the easiest way of going about this?

First, I would never recommend relying on wiki account security to
prevent people from *reading* pages; particularly in 1.2 there are known
bugs with this. You should configure your web server to require a
password or other appropriate restrictions if this is your goal.

To lock off account creation, set in LocalSettings.php:
$wgWhitelistAccount = array ( "sysop" => 1, "developer" => 1 );

Then create new accounts via Special:Userlogin while logged in as a
sysop account.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)