[Mediawiki-l] Deleting Users?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Jul 7 06:30:00 UTC 2004

Richard Ames wrote:

> Related to the below - How do I delete a user?...

Depends on just what you need.

If you just need to _lock out_ an account so it can't be used, you can
clear the user_password, user_new_password and user_email fields (to
prevent a new password from being requested by e-mail):

UPDATE user SET user_password='', user_newpassword='', user_email=''
   WHERE user_name='Some darn user' LIMIT 1;

I'd recommend against simply deleting the record, as this would allow
anyone to create a new account with the same name, which you probably
don't want as it would be mighty confusing.

If you want to remove the account's edit attributions, you could modify
the change user script to insert "(Deleted user)" or something in place
of their name. (This won't touch signatures or other literal text placed
in pages that uses the name.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)