[Mediawiki-l] Mediwiki namespace edits have no effect

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Feb 29 00:24:18 UTC 2004

On Feb 28, 2004, at 12:07, Calum Galleitch wrote:
> 1) I know I'm being lazy asking this here, but what the heck.  How do
> you
> disable scripting by directories?  Can't see anything obvious in
> apache.conf,
> and trying to read Debian's documentation by ssh is painful.

You might try something like this:

<Directory /var/www/wiki/upload>
   php_admin_flag engine off
   AddType text/plain .html .htm .shtml
</Directory>

This will turn off PHP script execution and keep HTML from being served
as HTML, to keep embedded JavaScript from attacking and perhaps getting
at session cookies. (Adjust to your preferences.)

> 2) How do you persuade the Mediwiki namespace items to have some
> effect on the
> site at large?  I've given myself sysop status, and I can edit and
> save them,
> but they don't show up on the site at large.  Am I missing something?

Set: $wgDatabaseMessages = true;

This is on by default in 1.2.0, but not in 1.1.0. There's a bit of a
performance hit and we haven't optimized it fully yet for the general
installation case.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)