[Mediawiki-l] howto setup MW for a SourceForge project?

Thomas L Roche tlroche at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 30 05:43:53 UTC 2004

My boss setup an MW for our team to use, and I'm hooked: I've used
several wikis in the past, and this is my favorite. I also have an OSS
project, also hosted on SourceForge, that is underdocumented. So I'd
like to setup an MW for my project ... but I note

Greg Kulczycki Mon Dec 20 21:49:29 UTC 2004
>>> I set up a MediaWiki on SourceForge. It seems that anyone with an
>>> account on SourceForge has read access to my LocalSettings.php
>>> file, which contains my database password.

Brion Vibber Tue Dec 21 06:56:26 UTC 2004
>> SourceForge runs PHP as an Apache module, with all users' scripts
>> running under a single user ID which is different from the user and
>> group IDs of the individual projects. It is impossible for your
>> script to read a file unless all scripts are given permission to
>> read the file.

>> For more information please see:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=4297&group_id=1#security

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14267&group_id=1#websharedreason

This presents several problems for me (and the giant corp for which I
slave), mostly of the form "how do I allow an insecure connection
inside the firewall protecting the boxen to which I have access to
install stuff on?" OTTOMH this seems easiest to resolve by also
putting the database in my project's SF web space: as long as I back
it up regularly, the damage that can result from the insecurity is
limited. But I note

mediawiki-1.3.9/INSTALL
> Required software:
> * Web server with PHP 4.1.2 or higher (4.3.x is preferred)

SF provides this, but ...

> * A MySQL server. 4.0.x is preferred, but 3.2.x should
>   work as well.

... does SF provide that? If not, how best to provide a backend
suitable for running an MW on SF? Can I just install MySQL in my
project's webspace?