[Mediawiki-l] returnto after login

Matthew Simoneau Matthew.Simoneau at mathworks.com
Wed Dec 22 18:27:37 UTC 2004

We require a login for our corporate intranet Wiki.  If you try to edit
a page and you're not logged in, you receive the message

"You have to login to edit pages."  (with "edit" a link to the login
page)

This text is defined by the "MediaWiki:Whitelistedittext" system
message.  Here is that message's Wiki markup:

"You have to [[Special:Userlogin|login]] to edit pages."

I've been receiving complaints from users that if you click on that link
and log in, the following page gives you a link to the Main Page, not
the page you wanted to edit, and you have to navigate back where you
were.

You do, however, get this link back to where you were if you use the
"Log in" link in the page navigation, rather than the link from
Whitelistedittext.  This is because the link contains the "returnto"
parameter:

.../index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&returnto=My_Page

What is the cleanest way to add the "returnto" parameter with the proper
value to this other link, the one generated from Whitelistedittext?
I've been fooling around with this for a while and haven't found a clean
solution.  Has anyone else tackled this?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Matthew Simoneau
The MathWorks, Inc.