[Mediawiki-l] Using $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] for authorisation/log-in

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Wed Dec 22 14:51:07 UTC 2004

Hi MediaWiki Sysops/Admins/Devs,
Hi readers of this ML,

I'm working on a Portal for an NGO. The public Wiki (using MediaWiki) i
already installed + configured and it works great - MediaWiki is a really
great written piece of work! (i really like the xhtml template! this made
the integration sooo easy!!!! thanx!!! ;-) (after making it public, i
will announce the "CP-Wiki" here and everywhere else)

Now i'm trying to find the best Wiki-Engine, that is able to work in the
Member-Section of this NGO.

All the advantages of the MediaWiki are suiting me well and i want to use
it as well in the Member-Section as well as on the public area.

The thing is: As Members are already identified/logged-in (folder access)
in the Member Section, i don't want to have a second log-in for the Wiki
to confuse the people ... and other people are per definition not
accessing this closed WIKI ;-)

My question is therefore:

Is it possible to make use of $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] for user-management
in MediaWiki?

If it is not "out-of-the-box" possible, i would be happy hearing, that
someone else is doing it this way. Sharing experiences would be nice ;-)
This mainly, because i know, that if i would hack mediawiki to support
something like this (i didn't yet had much time to have a look at the
code in detail), and then mediawiki gets updated to a version that breaks
my code, i would be needing again some hours to make it work again ...
and this for each new version, that breaks my things :-(

Every kind of feedback is welcome! If you know a wiki engine, that suits
better for such a situation, feel free to let me know.

Thank you for reading this and THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance for any
input on this subject,

Best Regards,

Damir Perisa

--
He who fears the unknown may one day flee from his own backside.
  -- Sinbad