[Mediawiki-l] Category pages pre-populated?

Paul Fierro pablo at nothing.com
Wed Dec 22 00:34:35 UTC 2004

Are the built-in category pages pre-populated? My install of MediaWiki using
the latest Wikipedia database dump shows relatively sparse category pages
compared to those on Wikipedia.org.

For example, [[Category:Japanese_language]] on the en Wikipedia shows 2
subcategories and 58 of articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_language

My install shows:

Category:Japanese language
Articles in category "Japanese language"
There are 0 articles in this category.

I'm not trying to create categories. I just want the category pages linked
from, for example, [[Wikipedia:Browse]], to have some content. Is there a
maintenance script that needs to be run? I couldn't find any help on meta or
the list archives.

I'm using:

MediaWiki 1.3.9
2004-12-09 database dump