[Mediawiki-l] LocalSettings.php - Security for MW on SourceForge

gregwk gregwk at vt.edu
Mon Dec 20 21:49:29 UTC 2004

I set up a MediaWiki on SourceForge.
It seems that anyone with an account on SourceForge has read access to my
LocalSettings.php file, which contains my database password.

>From what I have read on the web, it seems that some people have successfully
been
able to change the permissions of LocalSettings.php to 600. However, when I
try this I
get the following warning and error when I try to visit my site.

Warning: main(./LocalSettings.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied
in /home/
groups/t/ta/takocompiler/htdocs/wikitako/index.php on line 19

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required './LocalSettings.php'
(include_path='.:/usr/
local/share/pear') in /home/groups/t/ta/takocompiler/htdocs/wikitako/index.php
on line
19

I am using MediaWiki 1.3.9. Any suggestions on how to prevent people from
reading my
database password?

Thanks,
Greg Kulczycki