[Mediawiki-l] "Bad page title" error on a certain char after db, webserver upgrade

Jure Spik webdesign at carpediem.si
Wed Dec 15 14:09:12 UTC 2004

After upgrading from EasyPHP to Apache 2, mysql 4.1, head wiki, some of
my pages from a previous installation cannot be read and throw a "Bad
page title" error.

I thought there was an error in the migration process, but after I made
an IW link to the non existing page "Š" ([[Š]]) I noticed this is some
kind of a bug, either in Apache, MySQL or MediaWiki -> after saving the
page with the link, instead of the "Š" link there was text 'Retrieved
from "
</index.php?title=%C5&action=edit>http://webdev/index.php/Fakturiranje"'

If i create a link to [[Šx]], the link is *shown* correctly
(*?title=%C5_x*) , but clicking on it returns "Bad title The requested
page title was invalid, empty, or an incorrectly linked inter-language
or inter-wiki title" error.

On our national sl.wikipedia this same link is written as
*?title=%C5%A0x* so, it probably has something to do with the charset...
MySql says it is using MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8), while
previously it was latin-1.

Any ideas, please?