[Mediawiki-l] refreshLinks.php : Fatal error & other troubles !

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 00:27:27 UTC 2004

First of all, check Bugzilla for this issue.

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:43:08 +0100, Baeckeroot alain
<al2.baeckeroot at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I m still trying to rebuild my french wikipedia for local use and i have pbs
> while trying to rebuild the "brokenlinks" and "categorylinks" tables, using
> the php script in the maintenance directory of mediawiki-1.3.8:
>
> 1/ It seems to be broken, and forget many good or broken links
> eg in page Avignon in the fr.wikipedia.org it finds only 3 good links
> those who are located at the bottom of the page !!!
> but on another page it behaves differently !
>
> 2/ It fails to complete  with a fatal error. (and very slowly, i estimate
> its need 3 hours to complete, whereas wiki2static does the same
> and many other things in less than 10 min !!!)

> So here are my questions :
> 1/ what can i do ?
> 2/ Is there a documentation about the rebuilding of a wikipedia from
> the downloaded cur database ? (if so i suggest to include it in the mediawiki.tgz&&rpm)
>
> Regards
> Alain

Yes, there seems to be a LARGE memory leak. It appears that the script
forgets to call wfFreeResult when it's done with it. (Though that is
from a very short scan of the files).

I can not say what to do exactly (I am not that familar with the
code), but my recomendation would be to place a call at about line 12.
(at least, obviously much more is needed).

It's also possible that the request involves a huge number of pages
that would take 64M. (And with Wikipedia, that is possible.)

-- Jamie