[Mediawiki-l] ACL in mediawiki

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 14:42:26 UTC 2004

On 7 Dec 2004 15:09:11 -0000, Vani Bhat <vani_tech at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to restrict certain users in modifying certain pages or links in mediawiki. Is it possible to implement ACLs. Can someone tell me how can I do this ?

Hi,
The current stable version of the software (1.3.x) has only very
limited user rights settings (access for anon, logged in user, admin
can be distinguished in certain fairly course ways; e.g. an admin can
"protect" a page so that no non-admin user can edit it) but there is
currently work going into a complete overhaul of this, so that users
will be assigned to groups, and those groups will in turn be assigned
specific permissions.

While I'm not aware of any progress on the specific issue of
per-article "ACL" type restrictions, this new permissions system
should make it relatively simple for someone to implement a more
generalised version of the "protection" mechanism which would allow
more specific decisions about who can do what. So "watch this
space"...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]