[Mediawiki-l] Media Wiki offline? Dump & wiki2static

Baeckeroot alain al2.baeckeroot at laposte.net
Tue Dec 7 16:10:14 UTC 2004

Le Jeudi 2 Décembre 2004 23:31, Florian Taeger a écrit :
> >I dont know if its the right place for talking of
> >wiki2static, i hope so.
>

> Where is the place to discuss mediawiki stuff, if it is not here ??
>
> wiki2static is - as i think - created to make a static dump of wikipedi,
> which is based on media wiki.
>
> even if my wiki is also based on mediawiki, is is quite different.
>
> I think, wiki2static has got problems with grabbing my wiki. But i need the
> possibility to use this wiki on a windows pc without running software like
> apache, mysql etc.
>
> Alain - what did you use wiki2static for? grabbing a dump of wikipedia or
> dump your own wiki??
>
> Does anybody has an idea, how can i create a static dump of my own wiki?? i
> need a possibility to use my personal wiki offline, without using
> apache/mysql.
>
> Regards
>
> Florian

Hi

I understand your trouble now I tried to dump my modified wikipedia,
and then tried to "2static" it.
THE PB is "how are that dump generated" , with which option precisely ?

I use wiki2static to generate a static dump, in order
to have save ressources (CPU and RAM) for lightservers we plan to put in some
schools here in Sénégal :)
As the connections are _very_ erratic (when it is not the power !) and _very_expensive
(100 euro/month for 1024 kbit ADSL in Dakar, 50 euro /month for 56kbit in countryside !)
we really need that.

I have spend 3 days of testing and "reverse understanding by brute force"
(wc cur.sql , head -45 cur.sql , cat cur.sql | cut -c1-80 , and the same with mydump.sql ;)

here are my conclusions:
- I lack documentation about setting up the DB, and tuning it, but
i probably missed something ;)

- I miss only 1 option to reproduce the dump of the database:
 mysqldump --opt wikidb cur > mycur.sql
is _nearly_ the same as the downloaded.

The ONLY difference is tics ` around the name of the table cur:
INSERT INTO cur VALUES (146617,0,'Crazy_Day',
INSERT INTO `cur` VALUES (138898,0,'Antoine-Laure......

I dont know howto dump without the ` !!!! (im on debian sarge)

and that breaks wiki2static which is looking for
marker1="INSERT INTO cur VALUES"  with no ' around cur !!! and
use that to delimit fileds !!!

I had trouble with few rare _very_ big special pages (upload logs, and
last changes) which where more than 1M each and force me to raise
the limits in everything (apache, php, mysql , for buffersizes and timeout => 300s)

I have also a weirdness:
the table i upload is supposed to be InnoDB type
when i get it inside mysql, it is a MyISAM type, and then i need
to change it to InnoDB (in phpmyadmin, because 10 days ago i didnt knew
anaything about LAMP)

I also did some "optimisations" following what phpmyadmin suggested.
 if i m right, there are huge speed improvements , but i don't know excatly what happended:
the "Special page" allpages , took 5 min the first time (with wrong MyISAM type)
and only 12s after tthe InnoDB and optimisations (and a reboot, to be sure there is
no cache in use ;)

After that I also "benchmark" with htdig (search engine, reading the entire cylcopedia,
either static dump or dynamic wiki):
1 hour for htdigging  the static version  (french text table , 270 Mo)
10 hours for digging the wiki version  (I stopped after 1 hour ;)

++
Alain