[Mediawiki-l] Language Issue

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 17:38:19 UTC 2004

Jamie Bliss <astronouth7303 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
[...]
> > that the LanguagePt.php file was not corrupted on upload? (A
> > "conversion" from for instance MacRoman to ISO-8859-1 will irreversible
> > corrupt the data.)
>
> Maybe the language files should be re-written to use a PHP function to
> make the character, as opposed to depending on lack of binary
> conversions? It seems like this problem is coming up quite a bit.

Well, that seems a bit overkill, in a way; perhaps there's somewhere
we could place a note reminding people that if they are unzipping and
then FTP'ing the files, they should instruct their FTP client to
upload in "binary" mode. (I am, of course, only guessing that this
would solve the problem, but I imagine the conversion is happening
because the client is being left to guess that it's text, and what
encoding it's in; I suppose it could also be the unzipping program
that introduced the corruption, though...)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]