[Mediawiki-l] Newbie : full text search

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Dec 5 17:08:03 UTC 2004

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 05:26:18 +0200, Plamen Gradinarov
> <plamen at orientalia.org> wrote:
>> I've heard PHP 5 is much faster than 4, but it makes impossible the
>> use of
>> Turck mmcache. On the other hand, Turck is not updated since November
>> 2003
>> and D. Stogov is said to have joined Zend. (?)

I've done a quick test and found PHP 5.0.3rc1 to be slightly slower
than 4.3.8 (with no acceleration modules installed on either). The
additional overhead seems to be in parsing of the PHP script files;
runtime of other functions is comparable.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.4_benchmarks#Addendum:_PHP5

I recommend staying away from PHP5 for now unless you really require it
for something else.

On Dec 4, 2004, at 6:24 PM, Jamie Bliss wrote:
> But PHPTAL is broken (last I heard) in PHP5, which means you can't use
> the MonoBook (default) skin. If you can get it to work, besides that,
> then go with it!

MonoBook in MediaWiki 1.4 no longer requires PHPTal. (You can
optionally use PHPTal skins with 1.4 on PHP 5 if you install a PHPTal
1.0.0 development snapshot.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)